Thursday, May 3, 2012

I'm Back!!!!!

I realize it has been a really long time since I last posted. Our home computer totally crashed and I just never made it to another computer to update. Our computer has been restored!!!

A lot has happened since I last posted. Ginny and I trained with "Couch to 5K" until it had us running 25 min. each day and then we changed programs. We are now doing interval training. I am certainly not the speediest runner and average 11-12 minute miles, but I feel so much stronger. I have come to understand my body a lot better and know that I can't eat too close to jogging because that is what causes my stomach cramping. I now know that I do a lot better with interval running than I do with distance running. I have built up leg muscles and am never as sore as when I started. I am pleased to announce that I have built up some cute little leg muscles too!!! I have really enjoyed the fact that I feel more healthy. I have more energy and ability to run around and play with my children. I really feel great!!

Two weeks ago my stake held a 5k and I participated. I ran my first 5k in 35min. I felt great afterwards!! Our new interval program has us running 4 days a week. On Monday and Wednesday Ginny and I will jog/walk for about 3 miles. Then we cool off with walking 2-4 more miles. Then on Friday we walk 3 miles at an easy pace and Saturday the program has us change the distance we go. Last week it was 5 miles walk/jogging, this week it is only 3 miles, next week 6miles. We are building up our distance and strength. We started at a pace of a 12 min. mile which meant we would jog 2 min. walk 1, jog 2 walk 1. We decided to try for a steady 11 minute mile and now alternate 2.5 min. jog with 1 min walk. I really am liking this program so far.

I haven't gotten to the place where running is my favorite, but I really enjoy the changes I am seeing in my ability and health. Last week my brother Jacob ran his first half marathon. Just being there to support him, really inspired me. I really want to work myself up to that kind of distance. I think it is a HUGE accomplishment and want to work towards that.

I also found out that the walk for Crohn's and Colitis is not a 5k, but a simple one miler. I am not sure where my confusion came in, but I have to say I am really happy that I thought it was a 5k, because I don't know if I would have started the training I did otherwise. I look back to where I started and am so thankful I started. A 5k now seems like something simple that I know I can do! I like that feeling!!!

Ginny and I have also added biking into our workout routine. We bike on Tuesday and Thursday. I have to tell you that biking definitely comes much more naturally to me, In just a few bike rides I am up to 20- mile rides each time we go out! I love biking. It has been really fun to cross-train with something I feel  that I am better at.

I am looking at marathons that I might like to do. I thought maybe I could move up to a 10k then a half marathon. I don't know, I am still thinking about it.

4 comments:

  1. WAhOOOO! I've said it before and I'll say it again- you are amazing. Amazing! You are making me want to get into shape!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admit I was a little worried that you had quit. These posts really inspire me to be better and you make me want to get up and be more active. Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you got your computer back and are writing again! I've also missed your posts! It is so amazing to see how far you have come, you really are such an inspiration! I'm so glad you're feeling good too, that's the best part about being in shape!

    I'm thinking about signing up for the St. George Marathon (October 6), if you wanted to do that one with me! :) I still haven't made up my mind, but today is the last day to enter the lottery so I need to make up my mind! Let me know if you want to try to get in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melissa,

    When you are ready, please join us in working out. We would LOVE to have you!

    Laura,

    I am not a quitter! I am happy you are still following! I have enjoyed your comments!

    Colleen,

    I just received this message because I didn't have my phone. I think October would be a great time. That way I could do a 10k and work my way up to a half in October. Is it too late?

    ReplyDelete