Wednesday, March 21, 2012

I get by with a little help from my friends!!!!

My brother Benjamin decides to post that he started running and even though it has been a long time since he has exercised he went from  jogging 3/4 mile to 1.5 miles in one week. I can't help but think,"What is wrong with me?" Why am I still struggling so much? I am 6 weeks in and can't seem to keep consistent on times or speed. I felt a little discouraged. I really should be farther along than I am and I'm not sure what the problem is. For two days I keep thinking this to myself and decide that today I will push myself no matter how I feel.

I was fortunate for many reasons today and ended up feeling really good about my jog. The first thing that I had  working in my favor was the fact that the weather was absolutely beautiful! It was a perfect day for exercising outdoors! I  realized today that I can do a lot more if the air isn't cutting away at my lungs and burning my chest. I was able to push myself a lot harder simply because the air was so much easier on my lungs. I still struggle with weakness in my lungs and had a burning in my chest about half way through, but it was a different kind of burn and I could deal with it. The really great  thing that helped today was my brother Jacob. He was off work today and decided to come running with us. As I started my pre-workout stretch he decided to come help me stretch out. Jacob is a excellent massage therapist and man did his stretches feel good!!! He had me lay down  and he would move my leg and ankle this way and hold it there and then move it that way and hold it there. I felt really good! I told him he was hired and I needed him everyday at 1:00!!!! He has also started running and has been running with a marathon runner. He was able to share a lot of his running tips as we were on our jog. It was wonderful!! We were able to keep at a slow -medium jogging pace the WHOLE way!!! I didn't have to bum out once!!! YAY!!!! It was great! When we came home and were stretching I was way more flexible than I have ever been! Good things are happening, even if I feel like it is slow going. I feel really good today. I am really hoping good weather will stay and that I can keep in mind the things Jacob taught me, and work on my endurance.

Time out:37 min.
Distance covered: 2.9 miles

4 comments:

  1. I have been lazy and havnt worked out this week. I will step it up again. Sorry. I hope I am motivating you not to be like me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you Mariah!!
      When I started seriously running last year I had the same frustration you did.... week after week I didn't feel/see any improvement in my time or my distance. I read a bunch of blogs and websites and the simple conclusion was each day just go a little farther. When your legs start to burn and you normally want to stop and rest, go one extra block, the next day two extra blocks, etc. I was able to slowly break through the wall that was holding me back.
      I also visualize while I'm running, affirming my goal in my mind. I picture myself running across the finish line in my first 10k, the feeling of triumph that I'll have. I picture the completion medal around my neck and how proud my husband will be. I also envision my larger goal of running a marathon and raising money for the Make-A-Wish foundation. I think of all that those sweet angels have gone through and if they can do it, I can run/jog/waddle an extra half mile.
      One foot in front of the other. Over and over again. As long as you are moving forward, you are progressing!
      Keep it up Mariah!! I KNOW you will do it!!

      -erin
      (previous comment was posted up weird so I deleted it. Don't want you to think I'm crazy and can't type!)

      Delete
  3. You are making great progress!!!

    ReplyDelete